Monday, October 19, 2015

A Letter Home

Hello,

I hope things are going well. Today is the twelfth of February 1876 and I just received my copy of the Las Vegas Gazette. Apparently the city has been very busy lately. A new bar and billiard room has opened up next to the hotel that is now connecting. My friend, Mr. Rousseau, has finally opened up shop as an attorney and counselor and even got an add on the front page today! The paper mainly contained adds today however there was an update on the Unjust Economy. The article states that the government is not to blame for any attacks on the white settlers by the indians. The article claims that this is not fair to those who chose to settle in New Mexico however I feel that that statement is unfair. The settlers knew what to expect and they had the choice of where to settle. Thus, I do not feel the government should have to pay for the damages made by the natives. We are finally getting a shipment of seeds from Europe just in time to plant. The only downside is we have a limited supply and I'm not sure how long it will last. The city bakery was advertising their shop today. It's located in between first and second street in the city. There have been discoveries of new mining areas not too far from here. I think the closest is in Soccoro. Wood has become the target of interest lately due to all the snow. Most people think that it is hot out here but according to the paper, "the weather for the past week has been blustery and disagreeable." This barely covers everything the paper had to say today. Like I said, it contains mostly adds and promotions but there was quite a bit of captivating information. Hoping everything is well on your end. Please write soon. I miss hearing from you.

Sending you my best,
Your Loving Wife



http://www.truewestmagazine.com/blowing-in-the-wind/
*** this is written to show the point of view and attitudes from someone living in this time period ***

3 comments:

  1. I loved the tone of this and the way you wrote it! It seemed very real!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was interesting and realistic

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked how you addressed the letter to your husband and talked about missing him while still trying to inform him of what's going on around you!

    ReplyDelete